Originally, I was going to wait a while until things started “ramping up” to do these reports. To be honest – I debated the entire month on if I should write this post!
On the one hand, I felt like I had nothing to share. (This was just my first month of blogging after all…)
But on the other, I knew this was something I wanted to do down the road. Many of my favorite bloggers share their monthly reports, and I always looked forward to reading them. The things they had to say and the thoughts they shared always motivated me in some way… so I hope I can provide that same kind of value to you!
If nothing else, I hope you can gain some insight on what the first month of blogging might look like if you were to ever start a blog.
- The site got a bit more traffic than I expected, especially considering I didn’t spend much time promoting it.
- I had a cool email exchange with a fellow blogger who has a much higher domain authority. I hope it opens up a door to guest posting for them soon!
- Slowly but surely, the email list is growing. 🙂
- My post on net worth got shared by Four Pillar Freedom on his weekly roundup, and also got tweeted out by Ms. Adventure Rich! I work very hard on the content for this site, so it was encouraging to see that fellow bloggers trusted it enough to share with their readers.
- I originally had a goal to post 10-12 articles this month. Was only able to put out 8 in July. However, I’m giving myself a slap on the wrist this first month because if you add in all the foundational content/pages for the site (about, resources, how to start, etc.) – it hits the goal.
- I have no idea how much time I’ve wasted “tweaking” the site. I’m a habitual tweaker. I need to stop doing that, and focus my energy on more productive actions!
- Set up social media profiles on: Facebook, Twitter, Reddit & Quora.
- I almost had a heart attack when my computer crashed about 3 hours into writing a post. (THANK GOD FOR AUTOSAVE)
Some Random Thoughts
- It’s officially been 9 months since I quit my job. Crazy how fast time flies!
- The general public still doesn’t realize you can make money through blogging. When I tell people I’m working on a blog, the typical expression is one of squinty-eyed perplexion.
- Is Rotten Tomatoes being paid off? There’s been a lot of movies rated in the 90’s lately…
- I feel like stocks are overpriced. How long can the bulls run?
July 2017 Traffic
- Pageviews: 2,347.
- Unique Users: 223
- Bounce Rate: 46.59%
- Avg. Session: 11 min 14 sec
I’m overall happy with these numbers. As you can see from the graph curve, there was little to no action on the site until July 19th. I did zero promotion of the site up until my post on how to build lasting wealth which I published on the 18th. I think the page view/user numbers could have been much higher if I started from the 1st of the month on promotion, but I just didn’t have enough content for me to feel comfortable getting the word out.
The average session data is skewed for sure.
I realized late into the month that Google Analytics was picking up some of my own usage on the site.
Here’s a tip for all my fellow new bloggers: Make sure to exclude all your IP addresses. Even from the places you frequent as well!
Although I excluded my IP address from home, I do a lot of my writing at coffee shops around my city. I realized my IP address was changing from each location I was working at – and Google Analytics was picking me up as a new user each time. Next month’s data will be cleaner for sure.
- Male Readers: 76.3%
- Female Readers: 23.7%
- 18-24 yr old Readers: 37.74%
- 25-34 yr old Readers: 32.08%
- 35-44 yr old Readers: 21.7%
- 45-54 yr old Readers: 8.49%
Now these numbers were interesting. About 70% of my readers so far have been under 34 years old, and ~3/4 of them have been male. I had a gut feeling that the majority of my readers would be men, so I was not surprised by that breakdown…
However, I was surprised to see that the largest percentage of readers so far have been 18-24 year olds!
It was very encouraging. Younger people actually CARED about personal finance?! Maybe the stereotypes aren’t true after all. 🙂
The vast majority of my traffic this month has come from referrals (Four Pillar Freedom!). I was pleasantly surprised to see how engaged the referral traffic has been as well (low bounce rates, and high avg. session times).
Big shout out to Financial Samurai. I didn’t comment on many blogs in July, but his was an exception. I love the content he consistently puts out – and many of his readers find their way over to this site from there.
Important side rant: Ranking on Google is hard. Even for less competitive keywords. I’m already on page 1 of Bing & Yahoo for some of the keywords I’ve targeted, but the closest I can get on Google so far is page 3! Not a lot of people go past the second page. I can already tell SEO is going to be a long and tough game I have to play.
July 2017 Income
- Affiliate Income: $0
- Advertising: $0
- Products/Services: $0
- TOTAL: $ 🙁
I was holding out a SLIGHT hope that I could snag my first official dollar this month… but nope! Looks like I’ll have to bust out the champagne later.
I hope this goes to show that blogging is not a get rich quick scheme. I’ve put in a crap-ton of hours on this site so far… through content creation, design, setting up affiliates, etc. – and it’s resulted in a goose egg to this point.
It’s a little embarrassing to say I’ve made $0 in my first month blogging, but something tells me this is not out of the norm.
July 2017 Expenses
- Does Starbucks count?
- TOTAL: $0
Even though I didn’t make any money from the blog in July, I’m glad it didn’t cost me anything either.
So far the only expenses I’ve had for the site was in the setup (hosting, domain name, etc.). One of the perks of running a web-based business? Overhead is low.
For The Near Future
Guys – I’m really excited about the content I have coming up in August.
A couple of posts will be 30 days in the making when they finally get published. (I’m currently doing 30-day experiments that I think will provide some great value for my readers.)
I’m also working on getting a branded logo for the blog that should be completed by the end of this month, so there’s a lot going on.
Hope everyone absolutely crushes August. 🙂
Subscribe to my email list to keep up w/ that future content! (I never send spam)